Citizenship Application Services

Citizenship Application Services

The immigration attorneys at Discount Green have helped a large number of people obtain U. S. Citizenship and U.S. Naturalization, and thereby achieve a fitting end to their previous immigration status.

Becoming a United States Citizen is the culmination of all of your immigration processes and is an extremely important step to take the very instant that you are eligible.

What’s the difference between U.S Citizenship and U.S. Naturalization?

Although both naturalization and citizenship certificates will both be acceptable as proof of U.S. citizenship, they are not the same and eligibility requirements differ significantly between the two.

U.S. Citizenship can be obtained by individuals who are already citizens through their parent’s citizenship whereas U.S. Naturalization certificates can be obtained by people who seek citizenship individually.

Once U.S. Citizenship has been granted to an individual, they are no longer subject to the United States immigration laws.

U.S. Citizenship and U.S Naturalization Applications

Depending upon how they acquired Lawful Permanent Residence, after three (3) or five (5) years, a Permanent Resident can apply for US Citizenship.

Lawful Permanent Residents (“LPRs) normally may apply for Naturalization or US Citizenship five years after they receive their permanent residence or “Green Card.”

The “three year rule”.

LPRs who are married to a United States citizen may apply for their citizenship three years after they become LPRs. It is a common misconception that in order to take advantage of the “three year rule,” they must have received their Green Card through their spouse. This is not so.

The “three year rule” applies to all those LPRs who have been married to a US Citizen for three years, regardless of how they received their Green Card. So long as they have been married to a US Citizen for the previous three years, they can apply for their citizenship three years after becoming an LPR.

Residency requirement

Basically, one needs to have been physically present in the United States for about half of the time since becoming an LPR to apply. Also, you must have resided in the area where you want to be interviewed by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (“USCIS”) for the ninety-day period prior to applying.

It is a good idea to record of all of your travel outside the United States since becoming an LPR. You will need to provide that information in order to complete the Naturalization application.

So why do I need a specialist immigration attorney to apply for U.S. Naturalization?  

Like most of the procedures, it has many pitfalls and professional legal advice is important to ensure your ultimate success.

Until you take the Oath of Allegiance and become a United States Citizen, you are still subject to the jurisdiction of the Department of Homeland Security and may be deported under certain circumstances.

The procedure is by no means a simple formality and where the USCIS has checked criminal records and the original legitimacy of the permanent resident status, it has occurred where the applicant has lost permanent resident status as a result of these checks.

Our highly experienced attorneys have overseen thousands of successful naturalization applications including some that were very complex.

With ever increases in technology, but still maintaining the highest levels of care and support, the team at Discount Green are able to help clients from all 50 States to move forward with peace of mind and the confidence of knowing that they will obtain their immigration benefit in the fastest time possible.

Basic requirements of U.S Naturalization application

  • The Applicant must be a United States Lawful Permanent Resident.
  • If the Applicant obtained their Permanent Residence through their spouse, and the couple is still married, the application can be made three years after the applicant obtains their Green Card.
  • If this is the case, additional documentation must be included with the application documenting that the married couple is still married and living together as husband and wife.
  • If the applicant obtained their Lawful Permanent Residence through any other manner, the naturalization applicant must be a Lawful Permanent Resident for five years prior to applying for citizenship.
  • Residency requirements – both in the U.S but also within the local jurisdiction where the applicant files – such as residency for a minimum of 3 months in the local jurisdiction.
  • The ability to read, write and speak everyday English
  • To have both understanding and knowledge of the fundamentals of the history and government of the U.S.
  • Good moral character and attachment to the principals contained in the U.S. Constitution – the applicant should not have been arrested or convicted of serious crime.
  • Should be at least 18 years of age – below this and the application should be filed by the parent(s)
  • There are a number of other rules that apply to those who gained permanent resident status through political asylum or via refugee status, and for example, certain Veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces and those with other military service inclusive of spouses who were married to a U.S. citizen who died whilst serving in the U.S. Armed Forces.
  • Other rules apply to foreign nationals who have served on U.S. vessels, those under contract to the U.S. Government etc.

Discount Green is your best source for legal guidance through U.S. Naturalization and U.S. Citizenship application processes, which, providing the applicant qualifies, will take three to four months to complete.

Our team of experienced attorneys will guide you through the entire process, evaluate if there are any problems associated with your application, provide you study materials for the Civics and History test taken during the interview and can even arrange for a skilled attorney to attend the interview in your hometown.

We look forward to helping you and ensuring your success in obtaining your U.S. citizenship.

If you are looking for genuine and affordable help then contact us TODAY without obligation. Toll-Free on (855) 702-8472 or complete the easy to use contact form on our “contact us” page and we will contact you.

Discount Green Card’s immigration law practice includes services related to the most common immigration procedures available to both foreign nationals and those United States Citizens petitioning family members for immigration benefits. Those procedures include citizenship and naturalization, petitions for alien relatives via consular processing and within the United States, marriage green cards and adjustment of status for parents, children and spouses, the removal of conditions on lawful permanent residence, the renewal of green cards, fiancée visas and Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), commonly known as Dream Act applications.